WOW…..What a super food. Avocado in winter are scarce, but if you can get your hands on some of last seasons crop they are amazing. Packed full of flavor and goodness. Hass is the main commercial variety.
I am very lucky to have a small orchard with a good supply of organically grown avocado.
To check Avocado and ripe and ready to eat, gently push the stalk, and when it easily pushes into the flesh of the avocado, the fruit is rip and ready to eat. Eat now or store in the fridge. Do not squeeze the bottom of the fruit, as this will cause an unnecessary bruise and create a brown mark on the flesh of the fruit.
Top eating tips
- add good soy to the cavity and spoon out
- spread thickly over good wholegrain toast and season well with salt , pepper and lemon juice
- mix avocado with good french mayonnaise, good amount of seasoning and use as a dip
- mash together with feta, mix in some yoghurt and lemon juice and season
- works well with brown rice, soy, sprouts in a rice salad
- goes well with seafood
- partner with bacon in a sandwich
Marinated fish with avocado
- 2 ripe avocado diced
- chopped chives
- 10 diced cherry tomatoes
- coriander leaves
- good splash of good olive oil
- 400gm firm white fish, sliced into gourjons
- 50mls lemon juice
- 50mls lime juice
Marinate the fish in lemon and lime juice for an hour or more. The longer the marination, the more ‘cooked’ the fish will be. Drain off excess juice, then combine with all other ingredients. Taste season and taste again.
Mold onto plate, garnish with cherry tomatoes, coriander and olive oil.