A wonderful addition to the Late Autumn harvest. Jerusalem Artichokes.
Native to eastern north America. From the sunflower family also called sunchoke and sunroot.
- Prepare and cook as for potatoes
- wash and scrub or wash and peel
- slice thin and make into a gratin
- slice into small wedges and roast with sea salt for earthy chips
- make into cream soup and finish with truffle oil
- rough chop, pan roast till coloured the add to a frittata
- and many many more ways
Jerusalem artichoke soup with truffle oil
- 1kg scrubbed Jerusalem artichokes
- 100gm dice onion
- 100gm dice carrots
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- Cooking oil
- 1.5 litre chicken stock
- Small bunch fresh thyme
- Parsley stalks
- 200ml cream
- Salt and pepper
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Truffle oil to finish
Sweat off onions, carrots and garlic in a little oil. Add chicken stock, artichokes, thyme and parsley stalks. Bring to the boil and simmer till artichokes are soft. Remove thyme and parsley stalks and purée till smooth. Return to sauce pan and bring to the boil. Add cream and lemon juice. Taste and season. Serve and garnish with a few drops of truffle oil.